Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Version of Strawberry Shortcake

This dessert is a favorite in our household and I have won over many guests with it.  Most recently I made it for the local foreign exchange students as part of their going away dinner.  Their only request was fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy and green bean casserole.  I chose the dessert.  In fact as I type this, I think it is time to make it again!

We always use fresh strawberries, sliced and sprinkled with sugar and left to sit while I bake the shortbread.  We also use fresh homemade whipped cream.  Following is the recipe I use for shortbread.  I hope you enjoy our version, we love it.


SHORTBREAD

1 cup softened butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)

Beat butter until smooth.  Add the rest of the ingredients and mix by hand.  Batter can be crumbly, that is okay. On a lightly floured counter form into a disc and roll out, if dough does not cooperate, you may want to chill it for a short time (1/2 hr).  Once it is rolled to desired thickness, cut out with round or scalloped cookie cutters of preferred size, two cookies will be used for each serving.  You can chill cut-out cookies on baking sheet for 10 -15 minutes to hold their shape better, but that is optional.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Once shortbread is cool you may assemble the strawberry shortcake stacks.

***  In the past, I have just made one big shortbread cookie and cut it into squares or wedges, but I think the cutouts would provide better results as well as prettier than wedges!

No comments: