Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Grandma's Caramel Rolls

This is one of those recipes that has been handed down from my grandmother. She had her recipe. Dad made his own changes to it, and then gave me his version. I, in turn, made a few minor changes and made them my own.
This is another one of those most requested recipes, although no one actually asks for the recipe. They request that I make them. And I don't mind acquiescing to this particular request.
In our family, we do one batch with pecans and one without. We are more caramel fans around here but they are very good with cream cheese frosting.
This is my dad's version.

Caramel Rolls

Dough:
2 1/2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp yeast
2 eggs, beaten
7 3/4 cups all purpose flour

Mix thoroughly, let rise twice before shaping rolls. Separate into 2 halves, roll into a rectangular shape of your desired thickness. Spread softened butter onto dough, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll and cut into 1 in - 1 1/2 in. thickness.

Caramel:
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp pure Almond Extract

Cook until melted, and then pour in pan before putting in rolls. Bake about 23 minutes on 350 degree oven.

I feel it is very important not to over bake these rolls. I hope you enjoy.


No comments: